What young woman would leave New York to have her first child in a war zone? Who would choose to give birth in a place where kids get blown up riding on school buses or sitting in cafés? Where thousands of eighteen-years-olds kill or get killed as soldiers? I am that woman. I went home to give birth to my daughters in Israel. I wanted to raise them in my land Zion, the land of my ancestors, the land that I love. Now, 16 years later, my daughters will soon be old enough to join the Army, and be forced to defend a state and its myths that are tearing my homeland apart. Why do I choose to stay?
On a journey through rocks and fields, and across three generations of Israelis, I encounter the myths that shaped the state and me. I confront the actions of my parents and the hopes of my daughters. I visit a Holocaust survivor and hear the doubts of her son, a historian and a parent, like me. I confront a Jewish settler whose husband was killed by a militant Palestinian and I meet a Palestinian girl who lives in Israel.
It was my choice to live in the land of my ancestors and now it is my daughters' home, too. A state of myths and sacrifices, where our sons and daughters still grow up to kill or get killed. How can I stay in a state that devours its children?
A film by Yulie Cohen
Festivals and Screenings
1. Adelaide International Film Festival AUSTRALIA Feb. '05
2. University Of East London Feb. '05
3. The Norwegian Film Institute Oslo, Apr. '05
4. Nansen Dialogue Project, Nansen Academy, Lillehammer, Norway, Apr. 05.
5. Ecuadorian documentary film festival, Encuentros del Otro Cine, Quito, Apr. '05
6. Israeli/Palestinian Awareness Day College of the Atlantic, Maine US May '05
7. DocinEurope, the Italian meeting with European documentaries, Italy July '05.
8. SønDok (SunDoc), EDN cinematheque Copenhagen Sep. 18th '05.
9. Makor Theater NYC Oct. '05
10. Hampton's Film Festival, Conflict and Resolution section, Oct. '05
11. Siskel film center, Chicago Conversation at the Edge - Daniel Eisenberg, Professor, Film, Video, and New Media School of the Art Institute of Chicago Oct. '05
12. University of Maine, Oct. '05
13. Harvard University, Dr. Sara Roy Center for Middle Eastern Studies. Oct. 05
14. The university of Notre Dame and Indiana University South Bend, Oct. 05
15. International Mediterranean Film Festival Montpellier, France, 21-30 Oct. '05.
16. Kassel Documentary Film festival, Germany. Nov. '05
17. Middle East Studies Association USA – Annual meeting Nov. '05
18. Global Cinema Café, Center for Action Research, sponsored by Princeton University International and Third World Centers. New Jersey, Dec. 05.
19. The House of World Cultures, Berlin, Jan. '06.
20. World Community Film Festival in British Columbia, Canada. Feb.'06.
21. Festival "SguardiAltrove" (i.e."Sights on elsewhere"), in Milan, Italy. Feb. '06
22. Unifem Film Festival, Florida, March '06.
23. Voice Forward, Toronto. March '06. Stacey Donen & Amit Broyer.
24. Vancouver Jewish Film Fest Apr. 06
25. Toronto Jewish Film Fest May 06
26. NYC, Makor at the Y92nd St. TIKUN, June 1st, 2006.
27. International Festival of Humans Rights, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Oct. '06.
28. University of California, Berkeley as part of the Spring 2007 Interdisciplinary Lecture Series of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies. Apr. 2007
29. Warsaw Jewish Film Festival, Nov. '07.
30. Paris: an exhibit/event for the 60 years of coexistence in Israel-Palestine, with the City of Paris, in the Cite International des arts de Paris, June 2008.
31. Jerusalem, a course of Van Lear Institute for Palestinians, Oct. '08.
32. Berlin, Heinrich-Böll-Foundation Nov. 23rd, 2008 event for the 60th anniversary of the state of Israel.
33. Oslo, Paradise How? A Palestinian-Israeli Film event organized by the Norwegian Film Institute, Apr. 2009.